Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm Just A Broadway Baby!

All through high school and college I was obsessed with musical theater.  I listened to every single musical there was out there.  I imitated voices on cast recordings, I took dance lesson, voice lessons, diction lessons, acting lessons, and studied my little tooshie off!  I was--well--I am what you call a theater geek.  I still love and live for the theater.  I can't live without it actually, whether, I am in a production, listening to my theater mix on my iPad, or at the theater being entertained, I crave it.  I always need to be close to it's touch.  My dream was to do a national tour and broadway shows.  I reached those dreams, and have had quite a career in the theater.  The  burning question is "Are you done with theater, now that you are focused on a t.v. and film career"?  Even my agent wrote me saying "I would love to see you on Broadway again".  The honest answer to this question is I would love to see me on Broadway again too.  Broadway is my first love, and I will never let it go.  However, there are some major rules to me and my love affair with the theater.  I can't be in the chorus anymore, those chorus boy days are over.  I also don't want to be a professional understudy, just like my resume makes me out to be.  I will go home to Broadway if there is a role, a featured role, the lead calling my name.  Until then, I am not interested.  I would rather spend my time here in Los Angeles, being a starving artist, and going after my TV/Film dreams, then be in the background singing and dancing.  I don't knock chorus members, it is a great job, and when I was there I loved it.  No show is complete without a good chorus. I am just in a different place in my life. This might sound cocky to some, and it feels a little arrogant coming out of my mouth.  Who am I to not want a job that people would die for?  I ask myself that all the time.  Honestly, it is the truth!!!!  This blog is a space where I can tell the truth... right?.  I believe if I am worthy enough to understudy people on broadway and save the show, as I have done many of times.  I am worthy to play the role, and get out of my understudy trap.  That is where I am in my career.  Random Aside: I would love to do a non-musical play that is a dream that I have burning deep in my heart.  Just throwing that into the universe, so GOD can hear!   Deep down I am a broadway baby, who is in LA trying to make more dreams come true.  As an actor, whether it's film, Television or Theater I simply love my profession.  I am a person who is not chasing fame.  I DON'T DO WHAT I DO FOR FAME AND FORTUNE!  At the end of the day, I do it for love.