Monday, February 25, 2013

Stuck In The Web

2013 I am learning so many more trends, and sometimes I feel like an old man, because it is a new day as an actor. For instance, you don't have to print out pictures and resumes hardly anymore.  The hard copy of your picture and resume barely exists, cause they already have everything they need from you via  the web.  This is great for my bank account, and I ain't complaining.  IMDB Page, Actors Access, SAG J-Actor, Personal Web site, LAcasting, Twitter, Blog, Facebook, you tube....... The web is such an important part of the business and trying to keep up can be intense.  Another popular trend on the east and west coast for actors, is the web series.  People are actually being creative writing amazing pieces of work. The production value is pretty awesome as well, and some of the series I see are better then what is on t.v.  A few web series have been picked up by major networks, and have become t.v. shows.  Even celebrities have brilliant web series out there, that are funny, imaginative and poignant.  I was recently listening to actress/comedian Niecy Nash speak at my church here in Los Angeles.  Off the track; she is really an amazing women of Christ, and I learned a ton from this conversation.  Back on track; she spoke on how proud she was of her web series, and how it is one the best things she has done.  I actually follow two web series in my life, and I am proud to support them.  I will leave there links at the bottom of the page, if you ever want to check them out for yourself.

I had an audition on Saturday morning for a new pilot for a web series.  I submitted myself for it on the site LA Casting.  Low and behold, I got an email saying they wanted to see me for the lead role of Julian.  Skeptically I followed the web series trend, and committed myself, to joining the band wagon and I said "yes I would like to attend".  It didn't hurt that it is a SAG new media paying job! Anyway,  I got the sides to study my lines via email, and when reading the script, I actually found it quite funny.  The writing was way better then expected.  With a new pep in my step, and excitement in my spirit, fear stepped his evil head in...  I was a little scared of the character as he is a little more effeminate then I want to play.  However, I found the story in this scene very fun, and I went in to this venture head first.  I did all my homework, which included beating the scene out, finding my objective, and going after my wants....  I slowly started to find fun moments, in the scene, and couldn't wait to read it with someone.  GOD please let the reader be good.  As acting is reacting, and it can be hard to react when the reader gives you nothing to react too, but sometimes you have to make it work.  On the drive into the audition, I had my conversation with GOD, asking him to watch over me, and to lead me in the direction that is best for me.  I get to the audition, dressed in American Apparel from head to toe, and I wore a cute little bow tie.  As soon as I walked into the room, they commented on my clothes, and how great my shirt and tie was.  Hey, I love to dress exactly the way I see the character in my head, it helps me with my work. I made them laugh a little with witty banter, and the director proceeded to give  me a ton of direction before I started the reading.  SCORE: The reader was an amazing actor, and gave me so much to work off of.... I was in a zone, and went into my character, and we played off each other amazingly. I had a ball, and the director said "WOW, you did that way better then I could even explain it".  This brought a smile to my face, as I felt myself nail the scene.  He asked me to do it again with a little more direction, and the second time, I played it the same, but took his notes, and heightened some moments with intensity. As I left the room, I felt great about my audition.  Whether I get the part or not, I came to an even bigger realization, that I love acting more then I can put into words. Most people hate to get adjustments in a scene, as it throws them off.  I welcomed every adjustment, and it fueled me with a fire in my body.  Acting makes me so happy, and I pray  that I get to continue to do it for a very long time.   This is what I am born to do!!!!!!   I have no idea who else they will see for that role, but I know I did my best....  


Two web series to check out: 
http://www.hustling.tv           

This web series has adult content, but it is good, as my friend Sebastian La Cause wrote, and stars in it. Start with season one and go to season two.  Have fun!

http://www.funnyordie.com/datesmates

This web series is new, funny- comedy, and only two episodes in, ENJOY.  As two people that I did A Chorus Line on tour with star in this series;  Julie Kotarides and Stephanie Gibson...