Monday, February 4, 2013

The Audition Nightmare

I was on the set of General Hospital, doing a very small spot on the soap.  It was a great day actually, and I had fun on that set.  I realized while I was there, that I truly want to do a soap.  The atmosphere was theatrical, and the life style seemed like a ton of work, but  a great training ground for an actor who wants to start his career.  They work at such a fast pace, and it was interesting to be a part of the process.  I was in awe at the work they produce on a soap from a day to day basis.  Fun energy on the set, and the cast/crew was professional and very kind.  Oh, and I got to make out with one of the lead actresses, that was awkward.  As I shook her hand and said "hi I am J.R.", about three seconds later I heard the words "sound speed" and "Action".  Next thing I know I was thrusted into a make out scene that I didn't even know was coming.  Well, the beauty of being on a soap.  From your lips to Gods ears, let's put in the universe that the next time I am on a soap, I will be a contract role.  :-)

Now to the theme of this post, sorry blog world as I get distracted by the excitement of being a working actor.  OK, so while I was heading home from being wrapped from soap land, in my car jamming to some music, at about 12:30 pm, I received a email.  I couldn't check it, but I saw it was from actors access.  For those who don't know actors access is the site, that holds all the actors breakdowns so your agent/manager can submit you for projects.  Anyway, I rushed home in my car, with excitement of this could be a great audition just waiting in my inbox.  I couldn't wait to see what it is was so the drive home was a bit of a blur...  Not even taking off my shoes, petting my dog swiftly, I run straight to my macbook air, to check my email.  SCORE, it was for a co-starring role on a major t.v. show for the C.W. YAY! But? What? Huh?  Wait... the audition is in an hour.  Why didn't my manager call me?  Why am I just getting this now?  Without thinking I started getting dressed, but not knowing what the character even was, I freaked out for a bit.  I called my manager, "Hey, Marcus, I got an email, we got an audition"!  He sounded confused on the phone... He put me on hold for a minute, and said "Oh yes we do".  "Ok" I said, "but why am I just hearing about this now"?  He says "We just got it", and he was going to call them for me to see if he can push the time back so I a can make it.  He called them for me, they pushed the time back by 30 minutes, and they sent over the character description and sides.  You see I can't get dressed until I know what I am going in for, as it is important for me to dress like the character.  As I want to walk in the room looking like I am this part, and that there is no if, ands, or buts, about this....  Well it was for an African American, snotty, chef, in his thirties--I got this I thought to myself-- the character had to have a perfect french accent!  Rewind....  A what?  A french accent, yes,  I read this correctly.  I get an audition for the C.W. (which is perfect for me), but he has to have a freaking french accent!!!  I need to drive there, cold read, and be prepared with a french accent in the next 45 minutes.  I started to panic, as I love to audition, and want to go in there and show them all this talent I have inside of me.  I took a deep breathe, printed out the sides, got dressed, and started to walk out of the door.  As I read the script, I realized there were some words I couldn't pronounce correctly.  So I called my manager, yet again,  and he connected me to a girl who is a french teacher to go over these words.  As I spoke to her, I slowed down, and thought hard.  Not only to cut off this nice lady, but hang up the phone with her abruptly.  Then to call my manager and say  "I am not going".  Marcus said "What, you know how hard it is to get an audition"?  I said "Yes I do, but I refuse, to go in for a t.v. show that I am perfect for,  and be unprepared with a hideous french accent.  Mind you if this dude was to speak with a British, New York, Puerto Rican or Southern dialect I would have went.  As those are accents I have in my back pocket.  But NO HE HAD TO BE FRENCH!  When I go in for something I want to be actually right for the part, and be prepared.  I don't want this casting director to put me on her/his list of people to never call in again, because she/he thinks I can't act.  NO WAY!  I had to do what I thought was best.  I have to trust in GOD, that more auditions will come.  Auditions without a french accent,  auditions that will fit me like a glove.  I turned down this audition, and it makes me sad.  But there will hopefully be many more to come.....