Monday, July 22, 2013

I Am Funny Dammit!

I moved to Los Angeles dreaming of being on Scandal, Grey's Anatomy, The Soap Operas, CSI, and all of  those dramatic shows.  My acting reel says that I am a dramatic actor, and all my life I have loved and connected to anything that is drama... I get off on releasing inner demons that are  trapped in my soul.  I love the art of being crazy, wounded, hurt, scarred, serious, serious serious....

My friend Tiffany Cooper-Allen once said to me I see you in a comedy.  I laughed at her very loudly, and the laugh was so loud it was like a scream.  The subtext was "No boo, No I am not funny"..  Then my roommate, Dezera Page said I see you on the big band theory, or as the straight man in some comedy... I laughed yet again very loudly.  My first manager said "you should do comedy"... I thought to myself, what is this stupid theme?  I am a dramatic actor!  I just met with this new management firm, that wouldn't even see me unless I did comedy.  They said that is who I am, before even talking to me.  WHAT???    I can cry at the drop of hat, and I love releasing my life experiences out onto the drama of some crazy character.  When I read a dramatic script, my heart beats faster, my blood boils, and I get excited to dissect this person.  Maybe being a dramatic actor all these years has been free therapy.  Did you know that 80% of the work for someone my type is in comedy?  I had no idea that I was more marketable as a comedic actor.  I decided to dive into it, with my head first.  What?? People are laughing at me?  What my timing is good?  HUH?  I am not even trying, I am just living moment to moment.  Why am I so funny?  What is this thing that is happening?  Why am I so scared of this genre?  Now I embrace it, and I am loving it!  BRING ON THE COMEDY!  So many friends will say I told you so.... LOL But I will never leave the drama behind.  I do my best when the work is honest, and when I tell the truth, comedic or dramatic, if you find truth, the work will always be good....